Monday, February 13, 2012

NO to Valentines’!

I was in the shopping mall today.  In one of the school supplies stores, I was looking over the cards section.  I wondered why there was an obvious absence of Valentines’ cards.  So, I figured, I’ll just probably send my sister a cute, pink all-occasion one (she loves pink). 

Then, I noticed this brochure sticking out of one of the shelves:


In Dutch, the words below the shopping cart mean:

Love is not exclusive!
Show your affection:
A kiss, a letter, a word…
But why a gift on 1 day in the year?
Love does not cost money!
Do not be fooled by Saint Valentine.
Do not fall for the commercializing of your feelings.
Love is not for sale!

I guess the pamphlet worked because I came home empty handed.  I will have some explaining to do to my sister though.

I remember one time, at the airport in Amsterdam and on my way back to the Philippines , a rather pleasant lad approached me and asked me if I was taking a plane.  I smiled and said “Yes”.  He then handed me a pamphlet (I am now starting to be wary of pamphlets).

In the paper was the question: “Do you know how much damage you are about to do to the environment when you fly in a plane?”

(SLAP IN THE FACE!)

In my heart, I know that pretty much all my life, I have been an environmentalist and have tried for the most part to persuade others to care more for our planet.  But please, I have not even remotely considered taking a boat home from Europe (and back!) Spanish era style.  That would be too much.

So, sorry Mother Earth but I will continue taking airplanes home, however, I will continue doing my part in minimizing my environmental footprint.

In the years we have been together, my husband and I have never celebrated Valentines’ day deliberately.  I now figured out why & in a way, the paper is right.

Valentines’ should be every day.  That’s so cliché but it’s true.  We don’t just send cards, chocolates, presents, stuffed toys, etc. to partners or friends on Valentines’, birthdays, and Christmas.  We ought to make them feel special every, single day and we show our love and affection at each waking moment.

Life is fleeting.  Our loved ones won’t be with us forever. 

In the great tradition of Valentines’, my wish for everyone is that we don’t ever take the people we love for granted.  And that we cherish all the moments that we have together.

As one great proverb goes:  “Offer good while supply lasts!”.

No comments:

Post a Comment