Friday, January 22, 2010

What I Like About Belgium



I have been meaning to write this. I have always tried to be an optimist if I can help it and I think making this list helps me appreciate my new home even more. So here it goes (and not in any particular order):

1. The fresh air (most of the time anyway *wink*).
2. The cool breeze (that more often than not, ends up being a cold, bone-chilling, icy breeze--hehehe)
3. The way the government and the people are concerned about the environment. So here, waste segregation is a must, companies give their employees environmental certificates that they can use to buy environmental products like Ecover www.ecover.com, how the government give subsidies for house renovation if you make your house more environment friendly...and many more. :) This makes me very happy.
4. The chocolates ofcourse!
5. Speculoos pasta! and the new and improved crunchy Speculoos (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculaas)
6. The systems (even the government systems ;p) are very organized.
7. Hot and cold showers and bubble baths!
8. A warm welcome in a cold country.
9. SALAMI!!! My favorite.
10. Yummy cheese.
11. I would say varieties of wine and beer but I seem to have recently developed an aversion for anything that contains alcohol lately. waaaah! Don't worry folks, this is just a phase. I will soon appreciate their wine and beer. :)
12. Cute clothes. It's interesting to just sit and watch the people that pass by. In my country, it's shorts / jeans, sandals or closed shoes, and a blouse / shirt. Here it is completely different and even just that, I find interesting.
13. Fast internet. Need I say more?? ;P
14. It's so easy to find somebody to do sports with...I haven't tried it though coz I'm still adjusting to the cold. Give me about 3 years and I'll start playing again. :P
15. The amusing dishwasher. ;P
16. The museums. We might visit the Magritte museum this weekend. Remember "The Thomas Crown Affair"?
17. The continent. Instead of island hopping this time it's quite easy to go "country hopping" coz they are ofcourse, all connected. This time, I am not in an archipelago.
18. The free library! I just found this out yesterday. It even has a whole music collection.
19. Cool houses. Belgians, apparently, are very good at interior design.
20. The fact that I don't have to miss K anymore...that much. ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment